World
France to Withraw Ambassador, Troops From Niger 

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...
|
France to withdraw ambassador, troops from Niger
By Mustapha Seleiman
French President Emmanuel Macron has said that his country will withdraw its ambassador and troops from Niger in the wake of the July coup that over- threw democratically-elected President Mohamed Bazoum.
“France has decided to withdraw its ambassador. In the next hours our am- bassador and several diplomats will re- turn to France,” Macron said in a tele- vised interview on Sunday.
He added that military cooperation was “over” and that 1,500 French troops sta- tioned in the country would withdraw in “the months and weeks to come” with a full pullout “by the end of the year”.
France’s exit comes after weeks of pres- sure from the military and popular demonstrations. Thousands of people have protested in recent weeks in the Niamey, including outside a mil- itary base housing French soldiers.
Niger’s new rulers, who had been de- manding France’s exit after Macron re- fused to recognise the July 26 coup, welcomed the French president’s announcement.
“This Sunday, we celebrate a new step towards the sovereignty of Niger,” they said in a statement read out on national television. “This is a historic moment, which speaks to the determination and will of the Nigerien people,” they added.